A peshtemal (also spelled peshtamal, pestamal or pestemal; from Turkish: pestamal) is a Turkish towel traditionally used in the Turkish baths for centuries.
There are many kinds of peshtemal, with different styles and colors for different local areas in Turkey. It absorbs water as fast as a traditional towel, dries very quickly, takes up less space, is easy to carry and is therefore used as an alternative to the towel in bathrooms, pools, spas, beaches, sport facilities and for baby care. Its fabric (for most peshtemals) is made of 100% cotton produced in manually operated looms in Turkey.
It is also used to specify which region people are from and is a part of a deep cultural tradition.
Where can you use Peshtemal Towels ?
Peshtemals are multi purpose towels. Below you can see where people mostly use our classic models.
- Beach Towel
- Bath Towel
- Fitness Centers
- Hamam Towel
- Yoga Centers
- Guest Towel
- Travel Towel (great for chilly airplanes)
- Baby Care
- Massage Parlor
- Table, Chair or Couch Cover
Difference between regular towels and peshtemals:
- Peshtemals are thinner than regular towels and takes up much less space.
- Peshtemals are also known as multi-purpose towels.
- Regular peshtemals are usually larger than average regular bath towels.
- Even though high end regular towels can be more absorbent, peshtemals are very absorbent towels and even more absorbent than some. But one of the bigggest difference is that Turkish peshtemals dry quickly which also makes them preferable as beach towels.
- Comparing to all other towels, peshtemals are considered very cool and stylish towels because of their dyes and designs.
- You can tie peshtemals onto a beach bag and no need to pack an extra bag.