WHAT IS A FOUTA or PESHTAMAL TOWEL?
Peshtemal or Foutas are not your average terry cloth towels. (Though they are just as absorbent ) A peshtamal (sometimes peshtemal is also spelled pestemal or peshtamal) is also called hamman or
fouta towel. Peshtemals are large, flat and velvety soft. Inspired by the bath towels used in historic Turkish spas, these tightly woven textiles are extremely strong and machine washable, and feature a stylish handcrafted tassel that makes them chic as well as useful.
- Because peshtamal towels are flat-woven, they’re extremely light and take up very little space, making them the perfect travel companion. Peshtamals are the ideal take-along for your next vacation, you can roll them up and they pack beautifully.
- They’re also wonderfully versatile. Of course, they make fabulous bathroom towels. But you can just as easily wear your peshtemal as a poolside or beachside wrap. Many a celebrity has been spotted wearing one along the beaches of St. Tropez and Cannes (think Jennifer Aniston, Steven Spielberg, Robert De Niro and Demi Moore). The can be worn around the body like a sarong or pareo, for a chic cover-up. It’s light and airy and feels great against your skin!
- Peshtamal towels also look fabulous draped over the shoulders on a cool summer evening. And they double up nicely as home textiles like table runners, sofa throws and even impromptu picnic blankets.
- Our peshtamal towels are made from the finest Turkish cotton. They’re luxurious, absorbent and quick drying, and maintain their shape and texture beautifully, even after several washings. Choose from our selection of peshtemal / fouta towels in navy, beige or gray to find the one that suits you best. Better yet, try them all, then mix and match when the mood strikes.
- See for yourself why the fabulous peshtamal has been popular around the world for centuries.
Riviera Towel Co. Reporting