From seabird counts to shipwreck reconnaissance to inspiring the next generation of citizens, the national marine sanctuaries offer exciting, meaningful hands-on volunteer opportunities for all ages
Many sanctuaries enable volunteers to join in citizen science projects, heritage and culture restoration work, family learning programs and other activities. While local communities are critical to the success of these programs, there are also great voluntourism opportunities for visitors to these destinations.
What can you do?
- Collect data on whale and seabird populations
- Lead tours
- Patrol sanctuary waters to inform boaters and spot illegal activity
- Join in beach clean-ups, recognizing and removing marine debris
- Help discover shipwrecks and other maritime heritage history
- Produce learning resources and programs for students